megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
One Second After - William R. Forstchen I updated my status on this book yesterday to say I was pretty sure it was never going to end, but I can say it finally did. Finally. Really, this book could have been so much more interesting than it was. EMPs are by their nature very interesting. But… the author chose the wrong protagonist (an ex-military, very articulate and physically capable university professor? C’mon… how about someone people can identify with?), chose to skip over the most interesting parts, and made even the interesting twists in the story seem boring.

Now, it did seem very well thought-out. It seemed like a realistic portrayal of what a community with stronger leadership than most might face or decide in the face of an electromagnetic pulse that wipes out all electronics. I could easily believe in the decisions that the town’s leadership made. I could also believe in the depicted actions of the military and government. However… the actual events that transpired in the book seemed very scripted. Things didn’t seem to flow into one another or act as consequences or causes for other events. This happened, this happened, this happened… meh.

He also needs a much better editor. There are many embarrassing typos, grammar and punctuation errors scattered throughout the copy I read. I don’t understand how such simple things can slip by.

A couple of times this book was compared to Alas, Babylon. “Alas” is my favorite post-apocalyptic novel and I hated hearing this one compared to it. For one thing, besides being eloquently written, it’s still important today, and it doesn’t seem very dated. This book, on the other hand, is so very “2009” that it will seem laughable in just a few years, maybe sooner, as global politics shift.