megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Everything in Its Place: My Trials and Triumphs with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Marc Summers When I was a kid watching Double Dare on Nickelodeon (along with the other greats like Doug, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, All That, Clarissa Explains it All... I have to stop there), I never would have imagined that the guy below was completely miserable the entire time:

But he was. He had to shower continuously after every show. He could never quite get the smells out of his suits. The set stank to high heaven. Everything about Double Dare was chaos, and everything in Marc Summers's mind is about order. I still can't quite reconcile the Marc Summers I "knew" as a kid with the Marc Summers in this book. Luckily not a whole lot of it is about Double Dare, so I kind of set that aside as I read.

It was interesting to compare this book with Howie Mandel's recent Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me. Marc is much less of an ass, but both of them have type A personalities and a drive to be noticed and in the spotlight. It was easier to read Marc's book since it wasn't filled with lame practical jokes, but I've decided I just do not like Hollywood memoirs. They're just boring. Life is too easy. Luckily Marc does pull away a little bit from his career, mostly because after his talk show in New York ended he didn't have a whole lot of that left to talk about. The last bit of the book where he discusses hitting rock bottom with his compulsions, actually getting treatment and getting better, is the best in terms of an actual book about OCD. I think I ought to read a book about OCD that is not about somebody famous, because they evidently feel compelled to put a memoir in there too.

On a personal note, there is a short little OCD questionnaire hidden in the beginning of the book. It says a score of 8 equates to about a mild OCD sufferer and people usually seek treatment when they hit a score of about 20-30. I put hardly any stock in these self-tests over a trained professional but I scored an 18, which totally shocked me. My compulsions are mostly at home (except for checking if I turned my truck's light off and if the doors are closed) and are mostly checking. Oh and, as Marc relates, intrusive thoughts running in a narrative through my head constantly. Nothing like his neatness obsession or Howie Mandel's germophobia, which I am super grateful for.

Marc does do a good job of bringing the disorder out into the realm of acceptibility. He explains the medical reasons behind the disorder with nice clarity and has a few interesting stories about other OCD sufferers. It could have used a little less Hollywood and a little more of that information.