megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety - Kelly G. Wilson, Troy Dufrene It took me a good long time to be able to admit that I suffer from anxiety and probably have generalized anxiety disorder. It's funny, how you grow up thinking one way, and you think everyone around you is the same. I had absolutely no idea that other people don't worry about things to the extent that I do. Put simply, there is never a moment when I'm not worrying or anxious about something. I've had stupid panic attacks, I've gotten the chills, I stress out a lot. I worry worry worry, constantly.

This is the first book I've read about anxiety specifically; it's probably the first true "self-help" book I've read in years. I was drawn to it because of the easygoing language in the inside flap, the way Kelly Wilson and Troy Dufrene approach anxiety not as something to be eliminated but as something that can be present without becoming all-encompassing.

For the most part, I enjoyed it. The authors were good at making me look at things from a different perspective. They introduced and explained the philosophy of mindfulness well, and how it can help with anxiety. I did feel the book was lacking a bit in the activities sections. Most of them didn't feel engaging or eye-opening, but they did complement the text well.

I appreciated this book for the lessons it imparted, although by no means is it a cure-all; it definitely presents a new way of thinking about anxiety.