megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Sleeping Arrangements - Laura Shaine Cunningham I got this book on interlibrary loan from the Chandler Public Library. I always like looking at the interlibrary loan papers, and the stamps and such from other libraries... that's because I'm weird. I can't quite remember what prompted me to get it via ILL, but it came with another childhood memoir, Wait Till Next Year by Goodwin, so maybe I was on a memoirs kick.

This one is pretty good. It follows the author as a little girl growing up in New York, first with her mother (a wild, unrestrained sort of time), then with her uncles, two O.B.s (Old Bachelors) who allow her to decorate the apartment at her will at 8 years old and develop their own familial idiosyncracies.

I was surprised at how much Laura can remember of her childhood - she's got memories from 3 years and up, of wandering around the neighborhood with other little girls. But her stories are captivating. The characters really come alive, especially her uncles. I adored both of them, and felt like I would recognize them on the street. She's also honest about herself; she can see her own faults, and doesn't gloss over the difficult or awkward events in her life.

Definitely highly recommended. I got the giggles on my lunch breaks several times.

"It is I, another suspect!"