megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Nocturnes - John Connolly It's kind of hard for me to figure out how I felt about this collection of stories. On one hand, I found most of the stories creepy enough (none of them were really scary, but then I never find books all that scary), and I thought they were pretty well-written standard creepy monster/demon thing Lovecraftian horror. On the other hand, most of the stories were a little too predictable and too brief while still supplying needless details (I felt as though the author was trying to set the scene, but most of the time, I just didn't care about those odd little details he was giving). And none of the creepy monster/demon things were really that terrifying. Maybe I subscribe more to the idea that keeping the details of a monster or enemy hidden is more frightening than telling the reader what it is outright, kind of like Alien.

I couldn't shake the feeling I had read most of these stories before, probably from the author drawing on standard horror cliches and monster descriptions. It really felt old-fashioned, which might be what he was going for. Still worth a read.