megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore I’ll admit the closest I’ve come to reading the Bible was my Precious Moments children’s bible stories book when I was six. I know enough about it – I’ve read about it and I’ve watched Bible history shows because I’m strangely addicted to them, and I’ve done research on the various themes and archetypes for some stories – but I haven’t sat down and read it.

I want to, but I think now it is going to be impossible to read without filling in the personalities of the magi, Biff’s presence and Joshua’s own personality. This book really made Joshua’s story come alive to me. He’s no longer some dude in a beard and robes standing on a hill talking to people and healing them. He’s still all that but he has a history, and an annoying best friend, and worries and doubts of his own. He’s human and still remains divine – like the Christian hymn goes, “Veiled in flesh the Godhead see, hail the incarnate deity… pleased as man with man to dwell, Jesus, our Emmanuel.” Now I understand the implications of that.

Never been to church, but I know dozens of hymns. Don’t ask me how that happens.

Some bits of the book dragged for me. I struggled my way through, unfortunately, each meeting with the magi. I wanted to enjoy them, and still can’t quite put my finger on why I found them tedious. I enjoyed the beginning of the book and the gathering of the apostles. Oh, there’s another thing. How do I read about the disciples without assigning them the personalities Moore gave them? That’s just going to be impossible.

I thought God’s presence was kind of hokey. I loved the angel. I loved Maggie, who’s now one of my favorite literary characters ever. She’s great. I loved Joshua, but it’s kind of hard not to. And Biff was just endearing.

It reminded me a lot of “Good Omens” by Gaiman and Pratchett. “Good Omens” is set in the modern day and follows the Anti-Christ rather than the Christ, but there’s a lot of similarities and the humor just shines through, as in this book. They’re like parallels of each other. I need to reread that one again.