megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
If I Stay - Gayle Forman This was pretty good - no, it was excellent except for some minor quibbles - but to be honest I was happy it was short and I was through with it and it can be put on the young adult shelves to depress some unsuspecting teenager. Seriously, I couldn't believe how much this book brought me down, and I still can't figure out exactly why. I mean, obviously the subject matter is not the cheeriest. The main character is practically dead. All she can do is watch as her family and friends come to her bedside in the hospital and little dramas play out with each one of them over the course of the next twenty-four hours or so.

At times, I felt the dialogue was a little too stilted; none of the characters spoke how I would have expected them to. And sometimes, things seemed a little too unbelievable, a little too out-of-the-blue, or perfect, for me. But the author does a good job of emotionally involving the reader. Mia and the other characters have enough flaws and shining points to make them interesting, and the ending is well-done.