megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
The Incredible Journey - Sheila Burnford I was six years old when the remake of The Incredible Journey, Homeward Bound, came out. I loved it, even if the portrayal of Shadow always managed to make me sad. (So old and devoted and wise... I still remember the end, when he comes home, and... okay, okay, I'll stop...)

This book is very different from the movie. There's still two dogs and a cat, but their personalities are different and the reason for their journey has also changed. This book is very calmly paced. I won't say it's slow, because it keeps you reading, but it's certainly sedate. What happens happens at its own pace. The world is very different - at times it seemed older even than the 1960s when it was published. The author offers interesting insights into the people of Canada and the history of the dog and cat breeds in the book, but the description of the animals' actions is where he really shines. He captured the personalities and movements of each animal so well - especially Tao the Siamese cat. Even though they don't talk, they really do come alive on the page.

And yes, I might have teared up a little at the end...