megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
This World We Live In - Susan Beth Pfeffer I'm happy that I'm done with this book - not happy that I paid money for it. There's just so much that could have been done with this premise that ended up sorely lacking. So much that just came out of nowhere. I'm gonna have to make this a spoilered review so I can rant adequately about it.

Syl: Why come up with a vaguely interesting character with a checkered past if you're not going to do anything about it? She came out of nowhere just to kill the cat and carry on a bizarre relationship with Miranda's older brother? Was this supposed to be some kind of point about the futility and desperation of relationships after the world ends? It was poorly handled.

Alex and Miranda: Every obnoxious stereotype about teenagers in looove rolled into one. I know I was this obnoxious when I was 16 but that doesn't mean I want to read about it. They felt shoehorned together, Alex felt like a much less strong character than he was in "his" book, and everything just felt flat.

Charlie: Pointless except to have somebody expendable die.

This is a diary?: I never could write pages and pages in a diary like Miranda does. I guess it's just one of those curses of writing a novel in diary form - it's going to have to feel unrealistic if you want to put enough dialogue and plot points in, but you have to make your character present for everything, and have them extremely verbose, with excellent memories. It comes off as unrealistic.

Okay, I'm done ranting. I'm just ready to be done with this book.