megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror - Chris Priestley, David   Roberts Throughout this book, I kept trying to decide whether or not I would have liked it when I was a kid. Like most kids I liked spooky stories. I always had a Goosebumps stuck in my backpack. I would sit in my best friend's room and we'd dare each other to open Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark to a random page and see how long we could last before being too freaked out by the illustrations to continue. (Seriously, just looking through Google Images for pictures like this one and this one is kind of freaking me out.)

I ultimately decided that I would have liked it, but it wouldn't have been something I would come back to. The stories are interesting in the way they're tied together and the sense of creep that pervades each one of them, but the story that ties it all together felt a bit flat. I would have liked some other way of bringing everything together, because the author's conclusion just raises more questions than answers. I can see from some other reviews that the further books in this series achieve a bit more of a shocking, terrifying tone than this one. I'll have to check them out.