megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
North of the DMZ: Essays on Daily Life in North Korea - Andrei Lankov This started out strong. It really did. Except for the badly Photoshopped cover, I was enjoying it, and filing facts away just in case I ever find myself becoming the Benevolent Exalted Joyful Leader of some small impoverished nation. (There are so many things to consider, and it's wise to do your dictatorial research ahead of time, or employ a minion to do it. You don't want to flub anything.)

I really enjoyed the level of detail presented in the first half of the book, which, although un-sourced, is interesting and eye-opening. Though the author didn't present as much information about himself as I would have liked, he has a pretty easygoing style and he breaks down the sometimes confusing rules of society in North Korea well.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the second half of the book as much, and found myself flipping through the pages, skimming the text. While the first half is devoted mostly to North Korean citizens' average, day-to-day life, the second half concerns itself with politics, economics, and defectors. I didn't really know how relevant or possibly out-of-date the information was, nor am I really interested in economics; also, the length of the articles/chapters seemed to be extended and the author seemed to grow more repetitive.

I think if I were reading this as a weekly article in a newspaper (as most of it seemed to be), I would enjoy it a lot more than trying to sit down and digest so much information about a tiny country in one sitting.