megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
The Twilight Zone: The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street (Twilight Zone (Walker Hardcover)) - Mark Kneece;Rod Serling When I was a kid I never really liked The Twilight Zone. I'd start out with good intentions, because it seemed like exactly the type of thing I should like, as a kid who cleared the library shelves of UFO and paranormal books every time I visited and watched Tales from the Crypt, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction, and The X-Files religiously. The Twilight Zone should have entertained me endlessly during those Sci-Fi Channel marathons, but I could never really focus on it. Except for a couple of stories - Time Enough at Last and The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

There was just something about Maple Street. I dunno if it was the cool mystery of it all, the Cold War hysteria, or the kid who managed to manipulate everyone. It was probably a combination of all of those.

This graphic novel tells the story of Maple Street faithfully, with the same events, the same dialogue and the same (slightly cop-out, I feel) ending. I'm just not sure how necessary it is. I mean, it doesn't really add anything to the dimension or layers of the story; it's another visual retelling of a story that's already been remade once to touch upon modern-day fears. The comic is pretty well-done but it doesn't add anything more to it.