megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles - Jeff Martin (Editor) I think the best thing about working in retail, or a place that is sort of like retail and attracts the same kind of people (i.e. the library, which is where I work) is the crazy stories you accumulate. You end your shift with stories of drunk people, idiots, jerks and thieves, and if you are lucky you can spin a really long yarn about some crazy character you keep encountering.

Unfortunately this book doesn't really live up to all of the potential that retail stories have. I read almost every article in here except for the ones where the author started off insulting customer service employees in the first page (I think there were two or three like that, which really, what is the point?). Most of them really seemed like just vaguely-remembered anecdotes about the brief time the author spent working in retail before getting published, or stories that were really not all that extreme, or well-written.

There is so much gold out there in retail. So many crazy characters, entitled people, and just plain confused people that make for good stories. This book is crying out for some of that really good stuff that ends up on notalwaysright.com, not an entire article about how scooping ice cream for a summer will make you so sick of ice cream it damages you socially for the rest of your life... bah.