megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True - Dave McKean, Richard Dawkins This is a beautiful book with some really great illustrations, and it does a wonderful job of making science accessible to younger readers (although, not super young - the writing style is a bit challenging at times). This would be a really cool textbook, or style for a textbook.

The writing occasionally edges into the dry, but there are enough anecdotes and pretty pictures to make up for the occasional wall of text.

My only problem is with his approach towards mythological stories. I like the variety he presented, but I would have liked more historical context behind the stories as well as the recognition that a lot of stories like the ones he shared were ancient people's way of exploring/explaining the world around them, even though they sound silly today. However, he does use the stories as a way of teaching logical, critical thinking, which I liked.

Anyway, I wish I had known how cool science was in school. This book helped me clear up a few bits of confusion (mostly about atoms, because I pretty much just suffered through chemistry class blankly) and offers a neat perspective on the world.