megancsparks

megancsparks

Time and Again
Jack Finney
The Incredible Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson I was looking forward to reading something of Matheson's longer than his short stories, but unfortunately, The Incredible Shrinking Man fell flat for me. The premise is interesting. I watched Honey, I Shrunk the Kids over and over as a child and loved the concept of shrinking, of the way the world would change according to the shift in perspective.

However, I found this book bogged down in tedium. I could appreciate the way it related to classic adventure stories, and the theme of manlihood and adulthood addressed in the novella, but it was just too slow. I found myself skimming once or twice, wishing it would come to its conclusion more quickly.

Luckily, the rest of the short stories in the book almost uniformly engaged me. I've read some of them already, but I enjoyed the ones that were new to me. I really like the classic creepy sense he imbues his stories with. Nothing is ever perfectly innocent.